Sunday, January 23, 2011

January's Recipes: Part 1

If ya'll remember one of my first posts was all about new year resolutions. So far I am doing pretty good with following through on them (with having a new puppy - the getting organized one as kind fell through the cracks). One of my goals was to make at least two new recipes a month. Well I am half way there. 

On New Year's day I tried my hand at collard greens - you know to bring wealth and prosperity in the new year - and I must say they turned out pretty darn good. I found a great recipe on AllRecipes.com that is definitely a keeper. If I had to find one thing to critique, it would be to let them cook a little longer. As Mr. C put it, "You can never cook collards too long."  Of course we didn't have just collards, we also enjoyed black eyed peas, cornbread, and homemade mac n' cheese.

slow cooked mac n' cheese


Recipe for Kickin' Collard Greens



Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices of bacon (I think I used 6 slices)
1 large onion, chopped
2 gloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 lb. fresh collard greens

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the pan. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant. Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.

2. Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender. (I let mine simmer for about 3-4 hours to really soak up all the yummy flavors.)


My second recipe for the month will be coming soon! :)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment